ERSE’s role

Watch the video on how to settle a dispute with your supplier.

ERSE can help you to settle any problems or disputes relating to your energy supply contract. In this context, ERSE:

  • Provides information and clarifies doubts
  • May recommend the settlement of specific disputes
  • We can also impose sanctions on companies if it detects a practice that is contrary to the law or regulations (administrative offence).

ERSE cannot impose solutions on specific disputes (for example, how to correct your invoice).

However, there are some issues where ERSE cannot act because they do not fall within its area of competence. Some examples are:

Issue Competent body
Energy certification Directorate-General for Energy and Geology (DGEG)
Allocation of the social tariff for electricity and/or natural gas
Inspection of gas installations
Licensing of self-consumption installations
Licensing of electric vehicle charging installations
Damage caused (electrical appliances and other damages) Alternative Dispute Resolution means (Arbitration Centres, Justices of the Peace) and Courts
Installation of production equipment for self-consumption
Additional services (e.g. maintenance of household appliances)
Installation of equipment (charging points or electric circuits) for charging electric vehicles
Public lighting Municipal Councils


Form for requesting ERSE intervention

Only if you have already complained to your supplier and are not satisfied with the response, or if you have not received a response after 15 working days from the date of the complaint, should you request the assistance of ERSE using the form.

As described above, ERSE’s action in this case is limited.

Use of Arbitration Centres

Electricity, natural gas and piped liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) are essential public services.

The law provides for necessary arbitration as a mean of settling disputes relating to the supply of these services, and there is a National Network of Institutionalised Arbitration Centres (RNCAI) for this purpose:

Any household consumer can request the intervention of the competent consumer dispute arbitration centre.

The supplier is required to accept the decision of the centre’s arbitration court, which is equivalent to a court of first instance.

Arbitration is free or at very low cost.

Find out which Arbitration Centre you can apply.

Other means

Energy consumers can also go to the Courts or to Justices of the Peace and obtain a binding decision on their dispute.

Consumer associations and municipal consumer information and support services also play an important role in informing and settling energy consumption disputes.




Fulfil ERSE’s dispute settlement form.